The Lake Burley Griffin Fish Survey 2017 has been completed, and the final report made available by the NCA. Some quite interesting reading in the report, which is viewable here:
As a lay person, I think the report paints a very positive picture, although I note the concern over the potentially unsuccessful 2015 stocking of Golden Perch, which could leave a noticeable gap in stocks in future years.
Recommendations contained in the report include:
• Continue the stocking on an annual basis alternating between Golden Perch and
Murray Cod. Include a gap year only if it can increase funds for later fish stocking.
• Stock largest numbers possible and or investigate pre-release predator training to
• Undertake periodic boat electrofishing surveys every 5 years to determine
effectiveness of stocking and changes in the fish community.
• Education and enforcement of recreational anglers to increase the sustainability of
fishery and reduce likelihood of pest introductions.
• Investigate improvement to the fish habitat within the lake and upstream.